Toongabbie is located 30 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district and is located only four kilometers from the Parramatta CBD, Toongabbie is a suburb very much shaped by the 1950s and 60s. Though a new estate was added in the 1970s, it is the architecture of this era that dominates.
One of the first places in the Old Sydney colony with an Aboriginal name, Toongabbie meaning "a place near water" or "meeting of the waters" and is an area with much Indigenous and European history. Settlement began here in 1791 when Governor Phillip established a farm on which many convicts were employed. On 1st April 1794, the first grants were recorded as "in the district of Toongabbie" were made. By 1804 it was used only for cattle grazing and as a camp for convicts working in the area. It remained a farming area until pressure from the post war housing boom.
Governor Phillip established a government farm and convict station on 640 acres in 1791 to grow food for the colony. It was supplement to the farms already established at Rose Hill. By December 1791 there were 500 men working at clearing the land. After 11 years, the government farm was closed and the land was given as grants to settlers and convicts who had done their time.
The first school in Toongabbie - Toongabbie Public School, opened on the 3rd of May 1886. By April 1911, the school closed due to low enrolments. The school reopened February the next year and has stayed open ever since. The first post office in the area was opened after many years of campaigning by local residents in 1887 in a private house on Old Windsor Road and this arrangement continued until the 1960s.
In 1908, what was probably the second scout group formed in Australia, 1st Toongabbie Scout Groupwas organised by Errol Knox. The first scout hall was a barn on his parents' property, "Montargis" in Binalong Road. Later, in 1934, the Group moved to its present location in Bungaree Road on donated land which had also once been part of the Knox landholdings.
The first bank branch in Toongabbie, The Commonwealth Bank, opened in 1957 although bank agencies had operated in the area.
Toongabbie railway station is on the Western line of the City Rail network. The original unstaffed station opened on the 26th April, 1880 and was upgraded over the years with additional platforms and loading facilities. The current station was opened in 1946 and the line was electrified in 1955. The railway line and station of Toongabbie sits on the boundary of the Parramatta and Holroyd local government areas. The area's main retail area falls in the Holroyd Council area and is linked by a narrow road bridge.
Toongabbie shopping precinct for many years included a small suburban cinema, the "Rocket", located opposite the railway line, next to the overhead road bridge. It operated from sometime between the wars until the early 1970s, when it was closed and demolished and replaced by a row of shops and a small shopping centre and supermarket, the Piccadilly Centre, and bounded by the Toongabbie Hotel and the Catholic Church. This operated until 2004 when the shopping centre and surrounding properties were purchased by a developer for Portico Plaza.
Recently completed Portico Plaza features a Woolworths supermarket, the only Dimmeys Discount Department store in the Greater Sydney Region, and several other specialty shops including Australia Post, a newsagency, pharmacy, nail salon, florist and eateries such as Gloria Jeans, Portico Chicken and Akira Sushi. Ample car parking space is provided with over 300 under cover car spots available, free for up to 3 hours. If you don't have a car, Portico Plaza is two minutes away from bus and train transport.
Toongabbie is also served by private buses with connections to Blacktown via Blacktown Road,Seven Hills via the Prospect Highway, Sydney, and both Parramatta and Westmead via the Great Western Highway.
Elders Real Estate Toongabbie
Real Estate Agent
4 Cornelia Road
Toongabbie,NSW214602 9896 2333