The name Girraween is an Aboriginal word for “the place where flowers grow”. Girraween first became settled in the early 1900’s. Prior to that the area formed part of what was known as Major Wentworth’s Farm. Dr. D’Arcy Wentworth arrived as the surgeon on the Second Fleet convict transport “Neptune” in 1790 and was one of the early settlers. He received land grants amounting to 2,750 acres which extended over most of Toongabbie, Girraween, Pendle Hill, Wentworthville and some of Greystanes.