New Tenants before occupation
When looking to rent a property through Elders Real Estate Toongabbie we follow these procedures:
- Obtain the address of any properties you think you may be interested in either from our internet site, rental list, from our helpful staff or by observing a signboard.
- Ensure that the availability of the property suits your own time frame e.g. many properties may not be available to move into immediately.
- After viewing the property from the outside contact our office for an appointment to meet one of our property management staff at the property. If there are tenants still in occupation at the property a time will have to be suitable to them for the inspection. Many of our rental properties are shown as Open Homes and you will be advised of the time the inspection has been organised or you will be asked to leave you contact details and we will advise you once a time is organised (this is usually done via sms).
- When you have inspected the property internally if you wish to proceed you will be required to attend our office and complete an Application Form – you will be required to supply 100 points of ID including photo ID (a passport or drivers license is ideal), previous rental references including your tenancy ledger, employment and personal information as required. The more references and information you can supply the better. You will be required to advise on your application of your preferred lease commencement date.
- Once you have completed the application our staff will process it as soon as possible, there are sometimes delays in us checking your phone references or being able to submit the applications to the Landlord but we aim to give you an answer to your application within 24 – 48 hours. Your name will be lodged into computer based programs to see if you have any outstanding monies owing on previous rentals – this may affect your chances of securing the property.
- If your application is approved you will be advised by telephone, once you have received approval you will be required to pay a holding deposit of 1 weeks rent to our office within 24 hours to enable us to hold the property off the rental market for you.
- Our staff will make an appointment with you for the signing of the Residential Tenancy Agreement and they will advise you of how much money you will be required to pay. Initial payments can be made via DEFT, bank cheque or EFTPOS . We do not accept personal cheques or cash.
Once you have moved in
- You are required to sign and return your Condition Report to our office within 7 days after making any necessary alterations.
- All rent is to be paid in advance we have zero tolerance on rental arrears and reserve the right to make contact with you regarding this on a regular basis.
- You may be required to pay the water usage charge for the metered amount of water you use. We will forward you a copy of the water account when payment is required. If there is not separate water meter for your premises as is the case with most blocks of units water usage will not be charged.
- We will conduct regular routine inspections of the property during your tenancy for which you will be given a minimum of 7 days notice. There can be no more than 4 inspections in any 12 month period.
- We strongly recommend you obtain contents and public liability insurance during to cover you for any unforeseen events during your tenancy.
- All repair requests are to be in writing – other than Urgent repairs (as specified by your Residential Tenancy Agreement), you will be provided with various methods to report repairs at your initial sign up appointment.
- When the time comes for you to vacate the premises please ensure you give adequate notice as specified in your Residential Tenancy Agreement.
For further information on any Residential Tenancy matters please refer to New Tenant checklist (you will be provided with a copy at commencement of your tenancy) or to your Residential Tenancy Agreement. You may also gain information on 13 32 20 or NSW Office of Fair Trading website http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au