Westmead is located 26 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district, in the local governement area of the City of Parramatta.
With the British settlement of Parramatta, Westmead was originally part of the domain of Government House. What is left of this domain, including Government House, form Parramatta Park. The name Westmead came into use when the governor's domain was first subdivided in 1859. The subdivision of the domain was completed in 1889. The Northern Meadow and Western Meadow of the domain were split off and called Northmead and Westmead. From this time orchards were established by many new settlers, including some whose names were well-known in the Parramatta area - George Oakes, Nat Payten and William Fullagar among them.
Parramatta Marist School was established by Fr. John Therry in Hunter Street Parramatta in 1820, under the direction of Mr. George Morley. The school was transferred to the site of the present junior school in 1837 and entrusted to the care of the Marist Brothers in 1875. This makes Parramatta Marist the oldest Catholic school in Australia.
Westmead Hospital is a major 975 bed tertiary hospital in Sydney. Opened in 1978, it is now the major hospital in the Sydney West Area Health Service. It is located on Hawkesbury Road in Westmead, providing a full range of tertiary medical and dental services except for paediatrics which is serviced by the adjacent Children's Hospital at Westmead. It is a teaching hospital of the University of Sydney.
Westmead Hospital is the base for the adult medical retrieval service NRMA Care Flight.
Westmead railway station is on the Western railway line of the City Rail network. The Western railway line from Parramatta to Blacktown was built through the suburb in 1861. A railway station at Westmead was opened in April of 1893 after a successful petition by local residents.