Westmead

Westmead is located 26 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district, in the local governement area of the City of Parramatta. With the British settlement of Parramatta, Westmead was originally part of the domain of Government House. What is left of this domain, including Government House, form Parramatta Park. The name Westmead came into use when the governor's domain was first subdivided in 1859. The subdivision of the domain was completed in 1889. The Northern Meadow and Western Meadow of…

Wentworthville

Wentworthville is located 27 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district. Wentworthville is split between the local government areas of the City of Parramatta and the City of Holroyd. Wentworthville and Wentworth Falls, in the Blue Mountains, were named after the Wentworth family. A land grant of 2000 acres (8 km²) in this area was made in 1810 to D'arcy Wentworth, the father of William Wentworth, the famous Blue Mountains explorer. In the 1800s a land boom in the area attracted…

Seven Hills

Seven Hills is located 34 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district in the local governement area of the City of Blacktown. Prior to European settlement in the 1790s, the area now known as Seven Hills was originally settled and occupied for hundreds, if not thousands, of years by indigenous people who most probably would have identified with the Warmuli and Toogagal clans, of the Darug tribe. The vicinity of Seven Hills was first visited by Europeans very early…

Prospect

Prospect is located 32 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district in the local governement area of the City of Blacktown and is part of the Greater Western Sydney region. Captain Arthur Phillip called the area 'Bellevue'. In 1789, Captain William Tench climbed to the top of the hill here and gave it the name Tench's Prospect Hill. This was later shortened to Prospect. Shortly after 1808, William Lawson was appointed aide-de-camp to George Johnston and was granted 500 acres at…

Pendle Hill

Pendle Hill is located 30 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of the City of Parrmatta. George Bond (1876-1950), an American who came to Australia in 1906, established a cotton spinning mill in the area in 1923. It was Australia's first attempt to spin and weave cotton from cotton farms that the company owned in Queensland. He suggested the suburb be named after Pendleton, south of London, which was the centre of England's…

Old Toongabbie

Old Toongabbie is located 29 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district, is only about  3.5 kilometres northwest of Parramatta CBD and in the local government area of the City of Parramatta. Old Toongabbie is noted for being the third settlement set up after the British occupation of Australia began in 1788. It was founded as a Government Farm to grow food for the colony in April 1792. After eleven years, the government farm was closed and the land was…

Lalor Park

Lalor Park is located 35 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district in the local government area of the City of Blacktown. Lalor Park is part of the Greater Western Sydney region. Lalor Park takes its name from the Lalor family, who owned property in the area. Two members of the family (George and Robert) were Councillors on Blacktown Shire Council, George serving as Shire President on two occasions, 1921-1923 and 1928. This area was originally known as Seven Hills…

Greystanes

Greystanes is located 29 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district in the local governement area of the City of Holroyd. In the early years of British settlement the area was known as Prospect Hill and was the site of the first land grants to emancipated convicts in 1791. At this period it was one of several areas of conflict between the indigenous Dharug people and the settlers, the Dharug being led for many years of guerrilla warfare by…

Girraween

The name Girraween is an Aboriginal word for "the place where flowers grow". Girraween first became settled in the early 1900's. Prior to that the area formed part of what was known as Major Wentworth's Farm. Dr. D'Arcy Wentworth arrived as the surgeon on the Second Fleet convict transport "Neptune" in 1790 and was one of the early settlers. He received land grants amounting to 2,750 acres which extended over most of Toongabbie, Girraween, Pendle Hill, Wentworthville and some of Greystanes.

Constitution Hill

Constitution Hill is located 28 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district in the local government area of the City of Parramatta and is part of the Greater Western Sydney region. Constitution Hill was promoted from a locality to a suburb by the Geographical Names Board of New South Wales on 19 January 2007.